Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  diagnosing and treating capillary worms
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
sctcat
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote

If a peafowl has capillary worms, how will he or she act? What do the worms look like? How do I treat for capillary worm infestation?
My peahen that I thought might be egg bound or suffering from calcium deficiency after breeding season is still around but still NOT eating or drinking and so THIN!! But I pulled a couple of hair-looking things off her beak over the past few days. Then I saw something online that referenced capillary (thread) worms and now I'm wondering if that's her problem. I've been dosing her with safeguard, .4cc down the throat, once a day for the past 2 days. I also gave her some water with the syringe and I'll do the AD food from the vet, diluted with Pediolyte this evening and down her throat with the syringe if I can't get her to eat. She's at least eyeballing the food now, but just not taking ANYTHING in.

Comments? Suggestions?? Advice???

Thanks,
Stephanie
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote

Hi Stephanie
According to the labels on the wormers, capillaria are treated by Valbazen, SafeGuard, Levasole and Tramisol if memory serves.

Maybe you could get a good look at those with a magnifying glass?
sherri

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote

Years ago, when there was still a state poultry lab in Statesboro a doctor there showed
me the eggs of this worm under a microscope. He tried to point out the worms
in the crop of dead peafowl but my eyes failed to see them Confused
They are tiny. The way to diagnose this problem is to collect manure and carry it to
expert with microscope or mail it to poultry lab to go under microscope---or perhaps
do it yourself if you have the eyes and equipment

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice and responses! I tell you what, I don't know why this peahen is still alive! She's so light I can pick her up with one hand and she's gotta weigh nuthin!! I gave her straight safeguard for 3 days, skipped a day of worming and gave her 1 cc of Ivomec this morning. She ate some blueberries and a shelled peanut half yesterday, that I saw. I go out and shoot water and some AD puppy/kitten food mixed with blackberry yogurt down her throat twice a day. And some water if she will still let me. She's eyeballing the watermelon I scattered around the pen this afternoon. I don't know what else to treat/torture her with!!! At this point, I'm just trying to keep her hydrated and get some nourishment into her stomach with the yogurt and baby pet food and whatever else I can mash up, dilute with liquid and syringe down her throat!!!

Stephanie
sctcat
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote

I am very sad to say that my peahen died today. When I went out to the pens this morning to do the a.m. feeding, she was very resistant to taking anything by mouth and so very, very thin. I was afraid that this was nearing the end of its run. When I came home this afternoon, she was dead in the pen and quite stiff already. I am crying because she was one of my first 2 birds and I've had her for 10 years. When I got these 2, they were so young I didn't know what sex they were going to be. She and her "sister" used to run up to me when I went out to take care of the peas and they would eat out of my hand. BUT I gave it all I could and tried everything to bring her back to health. It just wasn't to be.

Stephanie
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote

I am so sorry to hear about you losing your peahen. I have had struggles with capillary worms for a couple of years and this year learned some valuable information.

First off, I was not dosing then with nearly enough SafeGuard (wormer for Goats). And I was not doing it for enough days...being 5. And then I was not treating them again in a week to three weeks...depending on what else was going on.

The biggest revelation was that the stool specimens need to be spun...not floated. The exotic vet never saw them. My vet who has never really treated birds would spin the poop samples and she picked up another parasite and scaly leg mites to boot.

You have to treat aggressively and its almost like you have nothing to lose. My white peacock V was so weak he was staggering when he walked and by some miracle I was able to save him.

Reading everything you did for your hen...you really gave it your best. Sadly, we can't always save them. I am happy for you that you had her for 10 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health