Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  IB Pied Peacock
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
JustPeaCrazy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote

This question is from my introduction post, it was not really in the appropriate place so I decided to repeat it where it belongs:
Quote:
Ok for my first question (:
I have seen loads of pictures of IB Pieds but very few as striking as this. (see photo below)
Is this strong defined pattern on his body as well as his train difficult to obtain? How is it done?

Thanks in advance for any and all help Very Happy
Tanya
Arbor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Not sure how its done, but it looks almost more silver pied to me. Definately one of the more striking photos of a pied I have seen as well. Now if one could breed a blue peafowl with just a white tail, that would be worth something.
Ok Peafowl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote

Your right that is a Silver Pied,

This was taken from Leggs Peafowl.

The origin of the Silver Pied Peafowl started around 1992; Silver Pied is a pattern mutation, not a color mutation. The color on the Silver Pied bird is the same as on a India Blue. Silver Pied is a combination of the Pied and the White-Eyed gene working together with the White gene. These Silver Pied birds originally showed up in three flocks, one bird from each flock, across the United States around the same time in 1992.

What is known today is that all three original birds trace back several generations to one bloodline, White-Eyed peafowl. The White-eyed peafowl, birds with white eyes in the train, founding breeder was Ernie West of California. The White-eyed peafowl was later bred with the India Blue Pied, which is recognized today as India Blue Pied White-Eyed.

When breeding the India Blue Pied White-Eyed to itself for some years its like this variety compounded itself with the white gene and then created the new pattern mutation, Silver Pied. Essentially the Silver Pied is a White bird with 10% to 20 % color on it compared to a India Blue Pied White-Eyed bird that is a colored bird with 30% to 40 % white on it.
What seems to be the link that helped create Silver Pied were the White-Eyed peafowl, which traces back to the White peafowl. Without the White-Eyed peafowl there would not be any Silver Pied peafowl today.

Genotypically, the Silver Pied males have White-Eyed feathers in the train. Phenotypically, the Silver Pied males can have pure White feathers in the train. This is because the White gene has mask the White-Eyed feather in the bird. Genotype is the genetic make-up of the feather. Phenotype, is the visual make-up of the feather.

Of the three original birds, which were all males, some carried the Black Shoulder gene as well.
About 2 to 3 years later the Silver Pied pattern showed up in the Black Shoulder peafowl.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Ahh, yes that specific peacock is one of my favorites! He is very popular, he is at some zoo. Everyone loves that peacock because of his unique pattern. I can always identify photos of him he just has a distinct neck pattern. You should see the other side of his face, he has some cool markings around his eye that also make him very easy to recognize.

Here is one of my favorite photos of this peacock.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote

I'm smitten, oh and that's a stunning photo of him!
So realistically he is pretty rare and I probably shouldn't expect to find his like? I think I will go cry now Crying or Very sad
Also, Ok Peafowl, Thank you so much for the info/description. I'm very very new to this Wonderful World of the Peafowl and it really helps to have it broken down so that I can easily understand.

Tanya
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote

Every pied and silver pied is unique, and all of them are beautiful. You can definitely find one similar to him but never one just like him. There are ones out there with trains that are half white and half color. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote

Tanya
If you ever get around Tyler you are welcome to come by and see several different kinds and colors of peafowl.
Doug
JustPeaCrazy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote

Thank you so much Doug, that would be a nice weekend day trip. I will get with you soon and maybe we can plan a day when your available. I would really love to see your birds.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics