Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  very lethargic white peacock
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote

It started about two days ago when Victory, almost 3, seemed to be in a mating frenzy. He did something similar last year, his first season to mate. He was running all three hens back and forth between the the two coops until all were panting and exhausted. I moved him into one coop by himself for a day. The next I moved his white hen in with him and and saw them actually mating a short time later.

But he was acting strange, like he could hardly keep his eyes open. He was holding his neck and head in a tight "S" curve. He continued like this for another day or two and then he was back to normal.

This time its the same lethargy, holding his neck head in this odd position, eyes closing, decreased appetite. While he has always tolerated me picking him up now he offers almost no resistance to anything I do to him.

I bought some meal worms and he ate most of three containers with 50+ in each container. He would not eat bread or any greens. I mixed up some water with vitamins and electrolytes and gave him about 3cc of that because I have not seen him drink. I also gave him a dose of safe guard even though the vet examined his poop and said she found no parasites at all.

Carol Cook used to be my peacock mentor but none of my phone numbers for her are any good and I don't have anyone to ask for help since my vet does not have a lot of experience with birds. She would give me a prescription if I knew what to ask for.

I am very concerned about my boy. He is the first chick that I ever hatched and he imprinted on my voice so he thinks I am his mom. If anyone has ever seen anything like this, please let me know what this could possibly be. I am at my wit's end.

There is no sign of anything else wrong. There is no discharge or swelling. I can massage his neck and it relaxes for a short time. I can't feel any masses or anything like that in his neck. The only other thing is that I have noticed him sneeze once or twice a few times when I have been in the coop with him. I have a 5 year old IB male, 5 year old IB peahen, almost 2 year old white hen and another once feral IB peahen of unknown age. They are all fine, eating well, pooping normal and already laying eggs. Picked up the 3rd one tonight.

lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Hope he feels better soon!

Do you think maybe he just over-strained himself?

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote

Frustrating mysteries DO happen......
I wish that I could help Confused

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote

Victory is still here in his lethargic state. He still obsessively displays but his white hen seems to be sitting on her eggs. (As a 2 year old she did sit last year for about 24 days and the abruptly abandoned her nest).

I had him to an exotic vet and he examined him and did some lab work. Conclusion was that he was perfectly healthy put obviously lethargic. Its kind of crazy that in the throes of mating season I can go pick him up, hold him, pet him and he basically falls asleep in my arms.

I do see him eating on his own. I am always trying to coax him with special treats. I will be so glad when this mating season is over hoping that once he drops his tail he will return to "normal".

D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote

I wonder if he might have capillary worms Confused this can cause lethargy
(and death as worms consume blood)
As for the neck posture--it is normal for a neck to turn into a letter "Z"
just before throwing train up to fall out in fan position for the fan dance
that tells everybody who is boss.
----------
I wish that I could get permission from Everest to even put a hand on
his back--but each time I "ask" by reaching a hand towards his back
as he stands on the perch by the hanging feed box he gives me the
"look" that says "Do NOT even think about it". Most of the time if I
refrain from annoying him he will not attack me. But a couple weeks
ago as I was catching peahens in next pen to sell....Everest went mad
and threw himself repeatedly at the fence climbing high enough to see
over the visual barrier as he tried to go through the wire. He remained upset
a short while and then all returned to as normal as things ever get here. bounce
....But I can get permission to put hand on Kid's back. Kid is a white spalding
peahen. Kid and her green mother live with Everest.
There is a yearling daughter of Everest and Kid who has her father's
loathing of my touch paperbag and can abuse a green male who is
older and taller than she is Shocked

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Just wanted to give an update on Victory. Whatever was going on with him has passed. He is back to his old self. I don't know if getting the second hen is what made the difference but the white hen is sitting on 5 eggs scheduled to hatch in 8 days...hopefully. The Minnesota hen laid 3 eggs and started sitting on them this past Monday.

So no more picking him up and holding him like a baby and kissing his sweet head but I am glad he is back to a more normal peacock. He is also starting to drop a tail feather here and there but he never dropped his 2 year old tail anyway.

Between Victory and Louie...I will never be so glad to see a mating season be finally over!

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health