Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  IB white eyed pied cock bred to IB hen
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote

produces a white chick .
When this chick becomes of breeding age and is bred back to a India blue , ( white eyed pied or just blue ) what will the resulting offspring be ?
lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote

Okay, I'm a total beginner at this...

But if it's really a white chick, doesn't that mean the IB hen was split white?

I didn't think you could get a white chick unless both parents were carrying the white gene.

But I'm so new at figuring out the genetics that you could do better flipping a coin. Laughing

Hopefully somebody that understands this stuff will explain...

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote

I am right there with you, all these genetics confuse me terribly but you could be right , I honestly don't know.
I also am curious ( to confuse matters even more ) but wondering: what if when within a sex linked pairing of birds.. say a purple white eyed pied cock bred to a purple hen.. produced a white offspring. If you take that white offspring and bred it back to either a purple white eyed pied cock or a purple hen, (depending on what the said white offspring turns out to be sex wise ) will THAT mating produce?
lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote

Well, taking a shot in the dark at the first question...

White-eyed is supposed to be co-dominant, I think, so you could get the white-eyed trait even if only one bird had it.

Your white chick could also be white-eyed, I think, so offspring with a blue hen could be blue split white and showing white eyes (maybe, if I have this right). That's assuming the blue hen isn't split white... if she's split white, then you could get more white chicks, I think. If the white chick isn't carrying the white eye gene, then if bred to the blue hen, I think the chicks would be either blue split white, pied, or dark pied... but am rapidly getting out of my depth.

There's some information in the knowledge base down below about pied & silver pied genetics that makes me think that silver pied might also be a slight possibility if you bred back to the white eyed pied... But way beyond my depth here.

I'm definitely not up to tackling the addition of the sex-linked colors discussion. I read the stuff in the knowledge base and think I get it -- but apparently there's still some confusion or lack of clarity about the various white genes... or then again, maybe it's just my lack of understanding.

I doubt if this helped much at all -- and now my head hurts from thinking about it! Laughing

So did you get an unexpected white chick from mysterious circumstances?

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote

Confused I believe that the problem begins when a person starts out with
poultry that is not purebred. Even if it seems purebred there can be
hidden reccessive alleles (variations of just one gene).....and enought
genes to make your head spin Shocked Laughing
Once upon a time I wanted Java greens but ended up with spaldings Embarassed
----------Some colorful adventures followed Cool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote

burdgurl wrote:
produces a white chick .
When this chick becomes of breeding age and is bred back to a India blue , ( white eyed pied or just blue ) what will the resulting offspring be ?

Both parents need to carry the white gene, so your IB pied w/e male is obviously carrying one (need one to get pied colouration) and the hen must be - usually indicated by white flights.

The chick then has a 50% chance of carrying a single copy of the w/e gene. A single copy does not allow for all eyes in the train to be white, a double copy is required for that - one from each parent.

I could go into depth and % of many different breeding combinations, but it gets lengthy.

The same goes for your purple example. If purple to purple, whatever the pattern, will always produce purple (a white offspring would still technically be purple masked by the white)
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Arbor,

Thank you SO MUCH for the explanation !
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics