Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Question about peafowl?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
kritkorner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote

Hello! I have raised 10 guinea fowl from "just hatched" to adult. They now run loose on my alpaca farm. Unfortunately, from time to time one guinea will separate from the group and suddenly realize this and begin to freak out, thereby calling the attention of foxes to itself! I have lost two in this way.

My question is, would peafowl stay within pasture fences, or would they also be inclined to jump fences and endanger themselves? Thanks for any answers.[/list]
Indigo
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote

No! Guineas will not stay within a fence line. I raise them and they usually dont seperate unless they are laying but the male usually waits for her pretty close to the nest.They probaly haven't gotten old enough to mate yet. Thet are still young and easily distracted from the group.Mine when they are laying are all over the place. Nothing is too high for them to fly over.Hope this helps. Any more questions I will be glad to answer.
Indigo
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote

Sorry I misread your post. Thought you said guineas. Peafowl are prone to wander like the guineas. Mine visit everybody in the neighborhood.But always come back home.
Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote

They are similar to guineas, but are far smarter about jumping back over the fence- guineas are famous for jumping over and totally forgetting HOW they got out there in the first place, doing the yelling and fence pacing ALL day. Peafowl don't do that, once they have jumped over a fence several times, they jump back and forth over a fence with no hesitation or confusion.

If your place is large, more than several acres, chances can be good that most of the peafowl will stay in.. most of the time.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion